Stäubli washing Robots: The cleaner solution
The move to robotic washing solutions with Stäubli’s purpose designed range of HE robots has enabled users to enjoy the benefits of increased production and product quality while at the same time reducing material and operating costs. These specially sealed robots can carry the wash jet or the machined part and are resistant to water as well as many chemical solutions, in acid or alkalic environment. Used extensively in the automotive, casting and machining industries they are suitable for washing, cleaning, deburring, rinsing, degreasing and drying applications.
Clean, consistent performance, even in the most demanding environments.
Benefits of robot washing
- Maintaining product quality and production rates, optimization of process depending on the product to be washed /cleaned/deburred.
- Flexibility of robot positioning allows the adoption of virtually limitless cleaning positions.
- Higher levels of waste removal reduce the risk of part failure or quality rejection.
- Cost reduction (reduced use of water, electricity, air and cleaning chemicals).
- Robot washing/cleaning removes higher levels of waste than traditional methods including minute waste particles.
- Eliminates the need for human operators to be in the harsh environment
Advantages of Stäubli robots
- The largest range of market dedicated washing/cleaning robot. (from 600mm to 2600mm reach)
- 15 years of washing/cleaning experience makes Staubli the market leader
- Compatible with the most commonly-used cleaning and disinfection solutions (can be washed and foamed in place)
- Small footprint and large spherical work envelope allowing easy installation in tight spaces
- A completely closed structure means that no additional arm cover is needed
- Can be used to carry the work piece or the cleaning tool with payloads up to 150 kg
- Largest installed base with industry proven successes.
- Lowest costs of ownership due to high reliability, minimal maintenance costs, long duty cycles and lower electrical consumption.
- Special arm surface treatment methods and materials provide corrosion protection
- Production and process data available over multiple communication channels with real time data transfer
- Easy and quick programming with VALtending
- Pressurization of the complete arm including foot with a single infeed tube
- Digital multiturn encoders - no axis recovery needed with a robot in harsh and space limited environment
- Battery free system
- Best cycle time due to path creation with OptimizeLab = higher throughput
- Applications from -30°C up to +80°C
- pH Experience from 2 to 10,5
What parts can be washed by Robot?
- Engine (cylinder head, motor block, crankshaft, camshaft, turbo, fuel injectors, etc…)
- Transmission (gearbox housing, differential, clutch housing)
- Braking systems (ABS valve housing, etc…)
- In fact almost any machined part that requires washing can be washed by Robot
High pressure water jet deburring
It consists of spraying fluid (water or oil) at a high pressure generally between 300 to 3500 bar depending on the material to be deburred. The 6 axes of the Stäubli robot give accessibility in difficult to reach areas, small-diameter holes, complex geometry such as deep and blind bores. Stäubli robots meet the highest requirements of both maximum positioning accuracy and flexibility improving the cleanliness of the deburred parts. No marks and scrapes on the deburred surface and no thermal effects on parts.
Specialized brushes can perform burr removal, using robots . You can either take the part to the brush or take the brush to the part. If selecting the second option, the brush can be included as one of the tools in the tool changer. Stäubli robots easily allow any part-brush orientation ensuring filaments attack many edges from many angles. This is required for complicated part-geometries to meet demanding finish specifications.
Vapor degreasing is suitable for cleaning oils, greases and emulsions from lightly contaminated components. The solvent is heated up to its boiling point and the resulting solvent vapor directed onto the components to be cleaned. The temperature difference between the hot vapor and the cold components causes the solvent to condense on the surface of the work pieces, which results in a rinsing action by the pure solvent condensate.
Water jet Cleaning / Rinsing
Spray cleaning is a classic process used in most cleaning systems. The kinetic energy of the spray jet supports the action of the detergent employed, dislodging contaminants from the part surface. Pressure of the jets are usually between 6 to 8 bars for general cleaning and between 20 to 25 bars for critical cleaning.
The cleaning result depends on how the nozzle is directed at the surface being cleaned. Relative movement between the part and the spraying nozzle may improve the result. This is why, Stäubli robot, holding the water jet nozzle as a tool is able to achieve the best cleanliness results.
A general spraying process may also be used as the final cleaning step when it comes to attaining particularly high standards of cleanliness. Any small particles still adhering to the surface will be washed away.
Bath Cleaning / Rinsing
The process involves the high-velocity flooding of an empty bath in which the robot will place the component that needs to be cleaned. As the cleaner acts on the parts, convection currents due to heating or mechanical agitation help to lift and remove soils from the metal surface. Depending on the application, an ultrasound or injection flood washing stage may be added to intensify the cleaning performance. Stäubli robot handling the part will give you all the flexibility, reliability and speed to accomplish those steps.
Depending on the application precision, compressed-air blow-off nozzles, convection or vacuum drying, or any combination may be used.
General pre-drying of the industrial parts is accomplished by intense air drying. An optional vacuum drying system ensures 100% drying of all the parts.
During this final step of the cleaning process, Stäubli robots are used to handle the parts and maintain a high production flow.